Thursday, May 26, 2011

Review: Thai Aroy


There is something about study which makes me crave take away. I don't know why, but I suddenly find myself hankering for something spicy, salty and slightly bad for me. Tonight it was Thai food and tonight I made a new friend- Thai Aroy. 


I must have driven past this little restaurant hundreds of time but never really bothered to go in or take a look at their menu. My thai interests were previously loyal to another local. Sorry Bangkok Delight, you are now dumped, I have found someone better. 

Like a lot of these small family run joints it doesn't look like much. In fact it wasn't even very busy when my sister and I sauntered in to collect our takeaways. Don't let this discourage you. The food was excellent. 

We ordered:  Golden Shrimp cakes, Pad Thai, Basil leaves stir-fry, Chicken Cashew nut and some coconut rice. 

The golden shrimp cakes were a bit of a gamble, I am aways cautious of the word "shrimp", but they were actually quite nice. Minced prawn, crumbed and fried- greasy, fatty but some how satisfying. There was some dipping sauce but in our bind hunger and excitement my sister and I woofed the four of them down while driving, don't judge us, only later finding its mate the sauce.

The pad thai was just your basic pretty well done pad thai, the flavours slightly muted so not to give the australian palate too much of a shock. It was well cooked, fresh and not too greasy.

The Basil leaves stir fry was really good. My sister who has visited Thailand often and eaten at some of the best the kingdom has to offer was pleased with it. It had all the necessary spicy, sweet, sour components and the basil gave it a nice cleaned up finnish.

The same goes for my cashew chicken. While I know that it isn't traditionally Thai, they have done a pretty good job of "thaiafying it". Yes it was slightly sweet and mild, but that is what you expect in a cashew chicken. It is familiar and comforting and that is why it is still so popular.

 I noticed that they also have sticky rice with mango so that will have to be on the order for next time.

Thai Aroy is doing some tasty, easy thai which is pretty cheap for generous serving. It makes the perfect little treat for yourself during the hardest part of the semester. So look them up and make sure you order extra so that there is leftovers the next morning. They even deliver. How is that for the ultimate study treat.

Thai Aroy on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment